YOUR CALLING AND THE FUTURE OF THE USA
This Blog continues the discussion of God’s CALLING on your life—with a twist!
An important question for all of us is, “Will the future of the USA affect my freedom to pursue my CALLING?”
The nation’s handling of the Coved pandemic may dictate some restrictions on our lifestyles. The long-term integrity of the Christian heritage of the USA is at a crucial tipping point due to opposition and restrictions of gatherings such as church and holidays. Our family has already been greatly affected by the restrictions. Our ministry of teaching the Bible has been eliminated in the local church due to restrictions on the size of gatherings. Our calling also includes leading Home Groups (home-based Bible studies that operate like small churches and build close fellowship) and these have been difficult to operate. Will we find leaders that lead us out of the lock-down situation?
Even the very foundation of America is under attack[i] (see footnote) and we could be restricted in pursuing the Covenant made by the Pilgrims as we described in a previous Blog:
“In September 1620, 102 Pilgrims boarded the ship Mayflower heading to “Northern Virginia” (where Manhattan is today). After fierce storms and crosswinds, they arrived in an area near Cape Cod in November 1620. Before departing the ship, they created and approved a famous document called the Mayflower Compact which included this explanation of the Christian mission of the new country:”
“In the name of God, Amen……Having undertaken for the Glory of God and the advancement of the Christian faith and honor of our King and Country a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia.”
THE ELECTION BATTLE
Another concern that could affect multitudes of Americans is the battle over the 2020 Presidential election. The Bible has clear standards that are under attack in this election. It is critical for Christians to discern which “side” in the election will protect our values and lifestyles and make it possible to fulfill our calling. Below is a list of some main issues that are important and Biblical for Believers. The issues are found in documents and speeches of only one of the two political parties (read and discern which of the two parties will strongly support this if elected):
- The need to overturn government support for abortions (Roe v. Wade). The Israelites battled against the worshipers of “Baal” and other worldly gods that included the sacrifice of children (See evidence in Genesis, Exodus, Joshua, and other Bible books). The ten commandments begin with “Have no other gods before me.” Jesus asked us to take care of children, the weak, and the poor.
- To protect the important phrase, “In God we Trust” (From a verse in the national anthem—the Star-Spangled Banner composed in 1814). The NIV Bible mentions trust in God 39 times! The NKJV has even more! Psalm 25:2 says, “in You I trust, O my God.”
- To encourage the strengthening of families and traditional marriage between men and women. In Genesis 2, God created man and woman, and verse 24 says, “a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife.”
- Support the growth of educational options so that parents can place their children in schools of their choice. First Timothy, chapter 3 urges leaders to teach and “manage your family well.” The book of Titus, chapter 2 gives much advise on teaching respect, self-control, and other wisdoms.
- Grow the overall economy so that churches and individuals will have resources to support missionaries and spread the Gospel to unreached parts of the world. The famous “Great Commission” in Mathew 28 Jesus urged us to “go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and Son and Holy Spirit.”
WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT ALL OF THIS? DISCERN and PRAY!
Ask the Lord to cut through all the media messages and reveal the truth and make your way clear. Proverbs 3:5 asks us to “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding…and He will make your paths strait (NIV).” The Message version is my personal favorite for this passage—“Listen for God’s voice in everything you do….He’s the one that will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all!”
SOME PRAYER METHODS and MOVEMENTS TO JOIN
Many pastors and Christian leaders have urged us to pray for the outcome of the elections. This is something we can all do at home and in our own words. There are many talks on YouTube by pastors and teachers that will give you suggestions on what to pray. Some prominent prayer leaders have organized prayer movements online.
One movement we strongly support is the “Give Him 15” prayer movement created by Pastor Dutch Sheets (search the internet for the “Give Him 15” App, download it and join in the suggested prayers.
Some topics of prayer include revealing the truth, expose places that were unfair, the need for accurate re-counting of ballets, and God’s hand to be over the USA.
As my grandfather (a pastor) would say at the end of his services, “The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace” (Numbers 6:24-27, “Aaron’s blessing”).
Pastor G. Harold
[i] Attacks against our foundation as a Christian nation include the “1619 Project” which claims that we are a racist country based on slavery. We have explained in another Blog (“Foundation of America”) that the majority of the slave trade was done by the “Barbary Pirates” that attacked cities around the Mediterranean in Europe and Africa. And the real start was the landing in 1620 by the Pilgrims and their covenant to spread the Gospel through the world.
The famous attack on Tripoli by the first Marines of America in July 1804, was motivated by ending the Pirate’s reign. The most powerful opposition to Christianity in America is the rise of Socialism and Marxism which are typically anti-religion or atheistic.
For more information, see the Founders Bible by David Barton, Brad Cummings, and Lance Wubbels, by Shiloh Road Publishers.